Wednesday, October 12, 2011

the right to study math

I stopped by Chris's classroom at the start of the day, just in time to see him become the least popular teacher in the school for about ten hair-raising seconds. Kids stared at him in horror.

"No math?"
"Why can't we have math?"
"OK, but we still want math."
"But I love math!"

No matter that the reason for the loss of math was that Nate Ayers, who is leading the class in an amazing exploration of permaculture, was coming in to work with them. No matter that they are truly riveted and inspired by that work. Math is math. You just can't deprive a girl (or boy) of her sacred right to do multiplication.

That's one of the reasons I love SK kids. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. I love that SK creates this kind of passion for learning. We feel so grateful that this is our son's daily experience at SK. I was reminded recently of how lucky we are while talking to my niece who attends a local A2 public school. When I asked about her new school year, teacher and experiences, she exclaimed "I hate school!". That made me feel incredibly sad...but also so incredibly fortunate that we are able to give our son a different experience.

    ReplyDelete